Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Little Unknown Megna History


When I decided to do a blog I had NO idea what to write or say. I think there is no better place to start, than from the beginning.
 
Uncle Sal, Circa 1956
San Joaquin Valley Beauty & Trade Show
Grand Award

I can remember back when I was about 5 or 6 years old and had my first job. It was with my dad at my uncle's beauty school. My dad was a teacher at Salvatore's Beauty college, a school named after my uncle Sal who was a world champion hairstylist back in the 60s and 70s. My dad and I went to the beauty school on the weekends to clean and wax the floors. My job was to sit on the floor buffer and add a little weight so the floor would have more shine! When I was a little older, I would head over to the beauty school when I got out of school, to sit in on the freshmen classes. There, I learned how to do pen curls and finger waves!


Over the next 10 to15 years my family added 5 more beauty schools to the Salvatore's chain. We also opened 7 salons under the name of Trend Setters.  Once I was older and had my driver’s license, I would work nights after the beauty school closed. I dumped trash, swept floors, stocked the shampoo and hair color, and fixed anything that was broken. I also washed and dried all the towels for the next day. This job lasted through high school and even a few years after that!

After high school, all my friends were working day jobs, while I was up snow skiing or spending time at the river water skiing. It was fun while it lasted!


I decided it was time for me to get a day job too, so I worked in a hardware store, for a lumber company and also worked for a painting contractor. I sanded my fingers to the bone one month then dug ditches for my friends plumbing company another month.

By 1983 the Megna family was deep into the beauty industry.  I had an aunt & uncle with a beauty school, the Vintage Academy in Napa California. His two children were beauty school instructors. I had a cousin working for KMS and two more cousins with salons in Napa and Atlanta (the cousin in Atlanta specializes in hair extensions). And yes, I have one more cousin with daughter who just graduated from a Paul Mitchell School in Sacramento.  Currently, I have over 500 combined years of beauty industry in my family.   

When my dad and I started Backscratchers in 1983 he had been awarded a LIFEtime teaching credential from the California State Board of Cosmetology. This award has only been given to a handful of teachers over the years. He also still owned the beauty school – some 20 years later!

All this said, I want you to understand, I have a lot of resources, knowledge and experience in the beauty industry. I have traveled all over the world and have been mentored by some of the best men and women in this beautiful and amazing industry and I have loved every minute of it!

 I am excited to give you my thoughts and answer your questions. I hope to hear from you soon.
Michael


1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing. cute info. about the floor buffer, i had heard kids were handy for this.

    ReplyDelete